How to integrate an American university


Today, many young people dream of going to the United States and studying at an American university. It is true that being a graduate of Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and many others is an asset to start a better career thereafter. However, integrating an American university is not easy at all. The university education system of the States is different.

In this article, sheds light on a few points to consider a chance to join an American university.

Have a good application

As mentioned earlier, the admission system of American universities differs somewhat from that of France. Although academic performance is taken into account in the selection of candidates, having a personal project, a career path or extracurricular activities is also an asset. In other words, the student must bring a little extra that will distinguish him from the other candidates.

It is, therefore, necessary to present a good candidature file with the letter of motivation and letter of recommendation. Therefore, if you are planning to join an American university, you will have to fill your five years in advance.

Do internships or volunteer activities, invest in an activity that you are passionate about and who can distinguish you, lead a project that is close to your heart. Also, think about perfecting your English.

If you plan to study in America, you will have to speak and understand this language as the courses will be in English. You must pass an English test and validate the TOEFL.

universityAdmission tests

To join an American university, you will have to pass tests including the American Challenge Test (ACT) and the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT). Both tests aim to assess your level in math and English.

However, you have the option of not doing so if you have already completed at least two years of graduate studies. For those who wish to pursue a master’s or doctoral program, the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is required.

It is also a math and English test but at a higher level. The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), for its part, is intended for MBA students.

universityExchange program between universities

Another way to study at an American university is to participate in an exchange program between a local university and a partner university in America. The International Student Exchange Program (ISEP), the Fulbright Commission and the Inter-university Franco-American Exchange Coordination Mission (MICEFA) are programs that could help you.

If you would like to read more articles like education, we recommend you our education category.

Iwona Walker

Iwona Walker is a passionate educator, dedicated to transforming the landscape of learning through innovation and creativity. With a background in educational psychology and a fervent belief in the power of technology to enhance education, Iwona has spent years exploring ways to make learning engaging, personalized, and accessible to all.

Learn More →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.